MSM India Trip on Siddha Medicine
2020 Medical Trip
Morehouse School of Medicine students and faculty are traveling to Chennai, India May 26- June 4, 2020 to explore the field of ancient herbal medicine for use within our Westernized pharmaceutically driven society. We are seeking an opportunity to explore alternative methods and approaches to medicine that are more natural and less toxic to the human body. Traveling to Chennai, students will make cross-cultural connections and meaningful relationships with the Chennai community as well as bridge our knowledge gap in ancient Indian medicine. In order to make this trip a reality our goal is $5,000 for 11 students. Your generosity will enable us to continue to serve and make a difference in the lives of those in need here in the state of Georgia and across the world.
Improve the health and well-being of individuals and communities
Increase the diversity of the health professional and scientific workforce
Address primary health care through programs in education, research, and service
With emphasis on people of color and the underserved urban and rural populations in Georgia, the nation, and the WORLD.
"Leading the creation and advancement of health equity”
The inaugural India Trip on Siddha Medicine is an extraordinary opportunity for students to experience the South Indian culture and learn about the oldest medical system in the world, Siddha medicine.
Still practiced today, primarily in Tamil Nadu, Siddha medicine is notable for using elements from nature to heal illness, while also placing equal emphasis on mind, body and spirit in maintaining health. Through this global health initiative, our students will utilize the knowledge gained of Siddha medicine to impact the rural communities in Southeast India.
• Learn about the fundamentals of the oldest medical system in the world.
• Experience the culture and observe how disease prevention and treatment is practiced daily.
• Learn about home remedies for common ailments.
• Learn how Siddha is currently practiced in Tamil Nadu.
• Learn how to integrate Siddha with current modern medical practice and integrative health.
• Learn pulse diagnosis and urine analysis.
• Participate in Siddha Medical camp in undeserved area.
• Explore opportunities for research in Siddha and integrative medicine.
Please help us reach our goal as we bring this project into fruition while leading the creation and advancement of global health equity. "To learn more about Global Health at MSM, visit: www.msm.edu/globalhealth"